Barbados

Worry over WI weakness against pace

Nation News - 1 ora 2 min fa

Director of cricket, Jimmy Adams, has hinted at a worrying deficiency among West Indies batsmen in playing high quality fast bowling, and believes the solutions lie at the domestic first-class level where there were not enough “hard, true” pitches to properly prepare players for the demands of international cricket.

Conceding the home side’s batsmen did “not fire at all” in the just concluded Test series against South Africa in St Lucia, Adams said there was a trend dating several years, where it appeared players were uncomfortable with concentrated fast bowling, which raised questions about not only technique but familiarity with pace.

Adams, a former West Indies captain, said there had been a similar occurrence on the 2017 tour of New Zealand when the Caribbean side’s batsmen struggled against the hosts’ four-pronged pace attack.

“If I go back to New Zealand four years ago, again [there is the] issue of how are we coping year in and year out against attacks that are prepared to run at us and concentrate an attack at times between waist and head, and there are times you can ask whether that particular area are we improving [on],” he pointed out. (CMC)

 

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

Categorie: Barbados

Jones, Agard in race to lead NUPW

Nation News - 1 ora 24 min fa

Nominations for the July 15 election of officers for the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW) were completed yesterday and the race for the presidency is now down to a two-person sprint between Fabian Jones and Kimberley Agard.

One hour before the nomination process was closed, Agard and her team delivered their nomination paperwork to acting general secretary Wayne Walrond, who accepted them on behalf of the administration officer.

Up to the close of the nomination process, incumbent Akanni McDowall had not submitted his nomination papers, as he had been suspended by the National Council the day before.

Last Friday, Jones and his team dropped in their paperwork to the secretariat office.

Commenting on the latest development and whether it would mar the election process, Agard said that she and her team were not going to be sidetracked from their mission, which is to bring the union back to a place of respectable standing. (CLM)

 

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

Categorie: Barbados

I was warned about child, says accused

Nation News - 2 ore 20 min fa

It was a National Conservation Commission (NCC) ranger who started the accusations against him, Raymond John Mofford said yesterday.

Mofford, 65, of Silver Hill, Christ Church, is accused of committing an act of serious indecency towards a child under age 16, to wit seven years, on September 12, 2014.

He was represented by Asante Brathwaite, while Crown Counsel Kevin Forde and Principal Crown Counsel Krystal Delaney prosecuted.

Mofford, who opted to remain in the dock for his defence, told the No. 4 Supreme Court he was a vendor in the Oistins Bay Garden and would see “these three little children running up and down every Friday night”. (HLE)

 

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

Categorie: Barbados

BUT to members: Stand firm

Nation News - 2 ore 23 min fa

The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT) is not budging from its position on the Bounce Back Summer School Programme for primary school students scheduled for next month and August, even though the Ministry of Education, Technical and Vocational Training says it’s now voluntary.

So strong is the union’s resolve to not have its “physically and mentally tired” members participate, that yesterday afternoon, in a media statement made on its YouTube channel, president Pedro Shepherd advised them not to do so as it deemed the proposal an attempt to change the terms and conditions of teachers.

The programme is one of “several initiatives to provide students with additional educational support over the summer vacation, having recognised the impact of the lack of face-to-face instruction caused by the COVID-19 pandemic” the ministry had stated in a notice issued through the Barbados Government Information Service.

It is being organised for primary school students in Infants A to Class 3 for three weeks. The sessions are scheduled be held daily from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. with students in Infants A and B attending from July 12 to 30 and those in Classes 1, 2 and 3 from August 9 to 27. (GBM)

 

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

Categorie: Barbados

Jobs for 15 at new Starbucks outlet

Nation News - 2 ore 31 min fa

More than ten Barbadians stand to benefit from a new employment opportunity through a partnership with Starbucks Coffee Company and Caribbean Coffee Traders Limited (CCTL).

In a press release on Thursday, the communication agency for CCTL, G&A Communications Inc., said Starbucks will open its first location here this year.

“Located in Haggatt Hall, St Michael, the new location will provide local customers [with] high-quality Arabica coffee from around the world through Starbucks handcrafted beverages prepared by passionate Starbucks barista partners (employees),” the statement said.

“CCTL looks forward to celebrating local culture and coffee traditions
. . . .

“The new store will employ approximately 15 partners (employees), sourced in partnership with local entities to provide locals with an opportunity to develop a career path.”

This is the tenth Starbucks location in the Caribbean. The other outlets are established in Aruba, Curaçao, Bahamas, Cayman, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos, and the Dominican Republic. (SB/PR)

Categorie: Barbados

Barbados supports lifting economic embargo of Cuba

Nation News - 5 ore 49 min fa

Barbados joined the United Nations General Assembly in condemning the American economic embargo of Cuba for the 29th consecutive year when the resolution entitled “Necessity of ending the economic, commercial and financial embargo imposed by the United States of America against Cuba” was considered during a meeting held on June 23, 2021.

The United Nations overwhelmingly passed the resolution by a vote of 184-2, with three abstentions. Only the United States and Israel voted against.

Barbados will continue to advocate for the lifting of the economic, commercial and financial blockade, which is critical for the people and Government of Cuba to achieve full prosperity. (PR)

Categorie: Barbados

National netball player tests positive for COVID-19

Nation News - 7 ore 7 min fa

A national netball player has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19).

It comes just one week after the Bajan Gems resumed trials at the Gymnasium of the Garfield Sobers Sports Complex, Wildey, St Michael.

Nation News was reliably informed that the player attended training but did not contract the virus from the sessions.

Training has been suspended and all players and officials will be tested. (AGB)

Categorie: Barbados

World Bank approves US$100 million loan for Barbados’ COVID-19 response

Nation News - 7 ore 25 min fa

Washington – The World Bank board of executive directors approved today a US$100 million COVID-19 Response and Recovery Development Policy Loan for Barbados. The operation will support the COVID-19 relief efforts and promote a resilient economic recovery from the crisis.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has severely affected Barbados, which had been successfully implementing its economic reform programme,” said Tahseen Sayed, World Bank Country Director for the Caribbean.

“There have been serious impacts on key sectors such as tourism, leading to an increase in unemployment, with disproportionate effects on women. The World Bank’s assistance will contribute to the country’s efforts for a resilient and inclusive socioeconomic recovery.”

The pandemic has had severe socioeconomic impacts in Barbados due to the heavy dependence on tourism, which accounts for about 40 per cent of jobs, more than half of which belong to women.

The economy contracted by an estimated 18 per cent in 2020, and unemployment claims reached roughly one third of the workforce last year. This operation aims to help Barbados strengthen the response to COVID-19, enhance macroeconomic and fiscal management, and promote financial resilience for a sustainable recovery.

Measures supported include the adoption of a COVID-19 vaccination strategy and a programme that helps tourism-related sectors sustain employment. It also supports reform actions to strengthen payment systems and adopt an enhanced legal framework for customs and a new Central Bank Law. The operation supports the Government in strengthening disaster risk financing and resilience policies and in improving the regulation and supervision of the insurance industry’s disaster risk exposure.

This Development Policy Loan provides support on an exceptional basis to Barbados, which has graduated from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD).

The financing responds to an emergency request from the Government for one-off IBRD assistance to respond to the COVID-19 crisis, given the disproportionate and severe economic effects on Barbados due to its vulnerability, small size, and dependence on tourism. The financing has a final maturity of 19 years, including a grace period of five years, and is part of a coordinated assistance effort by international financial institutions during the pandemic. (PR)

Categorie: Barbados

Bostic: More cases in latest COVID-19 cluster, 40 people in quarantine

Nation News - 7 ore 40 min fa

The cluster of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases identified at a business has now grown to 12.

Minister of Health and Wellness Jeffrey Bostic said this morning that the three people sent for assessment at the Harrison Point Isolation Facility in St Lucy had tested positive for the virus, along with two family members.

Bostic had said yesterday that there were seven COVID-19 cases at the establishment. He added that approximately 40 people were currently in quarantine, after aggressive contact tracing by health officials.

The Minister of Health also pointed out that all staff members were being tested for the virus and he believed authorities would be able to contain the cluster “in the coming days”.

Furthermore, Bostic said the cases were proof COVID-19 was still out there.

He also noted that none of the people who tested positive at the institution was vaccinated.

“I would like to take this opportunity to urge persons to come forward and present themselves to be vaccinated. It is important for persons to take advantage of this because this is the best way of containing this virus, so that we can breathe a lot better and be able to do the things we are accustomed to doing that we haven’t been able to do in the last 18 months.

“The impact of the virus on persons who have been fully vaccinated is a reduced impact. Even persons who have only had one so far, they are provided with a level of protection from the virus that is still commendable, but we want for persons who have not been vaccinated to come forward,” he said.

When pressed to disclose the name of the business place, Bostic declined, stating that it was not the Ministry’s policy to reveal the name of private companies or businesses with COVID-19 cases.

“Our policy has been very consistent in terms of the naming of businesses. When we name an institution, you would recognise that it is a Government institution. The companies or the businesses themselves sometimes issue statements and make that known to the public. I want to continue in that vein,” he said. (BGIS)

Categorie: Barbados

Thanksgiving service for former vendor cut short

Nation News - 8 ore 12 min fa

The thanksgiving service for well-known fish vendor Rita “Sissy” Hunte was cut short this evening after officers from the Oistins Police Station put an end to the proceedings.

Hunte’s daughter Suzette Callender told Nation News she did not have the requisite permission to stage the event near the Berinda Cox Fish Market, Oistins, Christ Church and she had been reported to the COVID-19 Monitoring Unit.

A tearful Callender said the last year had been difficult without her mother, who died in a freak accident on June 24, 2020.

Hunte, 74, died after she was struck by a vehicle while sitting under one of the sheds where fish vendors ply their trade at the market. Hunte and fish vendor Dorothy Hall were struck after the vehicle mounted the sidewalk and collided with them. (RA)

Categorie: Barbados

UNCTAD 15 to be held virtually

Nation News - Gio, 24/06/2021 - 23:10

UNCTAD 15, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, which was originally scheduled to be hosted in Barbados in October, will now take place virtually.

The switch of the high level international conference from a physical venue to a virtual platform was announced during an UNCTAD virtual Caribbean media briefing this morning.

Barbados Government’s National Co-ordinator for UNCTAD 15 Teresa Marshall said after two postponements, Barbados and Geneva had “accepted the inevitable” in light of the prevailing global health and travel conditions imposed by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

She added the change had driven the Barbados planners back to the drawing board with just about six months to put together an alternative plan for the conference.

Marshall revealed UNCTAD 15 would be streamed from two main production centres in Bridgetown and Geneva, “with the various feeds coordinated through a purpose-built Virtual Events Platform with a conference centre designed to replicate the look and feel of an authentic Barbados location”.

UNCTAD, which will take place between October 3 and 7, was expected to bring around 3 000 participants to Barbados for the conference, but Marshall said with the change Barbados could end up saving “at least 50 per cent” of the original cost of hosting the meeting.

In her introductory remarks, Assistant Secretary General of UNCTAD Isabelle Durant reiterated the value to Barbados and the rest of the Caribbean of hosting the conference, since it presented an opportunity for the region to share its concerns in an international forum in a manner which could be more impactful. (GC)

Categorie: Barbados

Barbados among countries added to UK’s green travel list

Nation News - Gio, 24/06/2021 - 21:54

London – The Balearic Islands, Malta, Madeira and Barbados are among the places being added to the United Kingdom’s (UK) green travel list, the transport secretary has said.

People entering the UK from 16 places will not have to quarantine from June 30, Grant Shapps confirmed.

He also said the government intended to allow quarantine-free travel from amber list countries for people who were fully vaccinated “later in the summer”.

Six destinations have also been added to the government’s red list.

However, the prospect of European holidays could face another hurdle after German Chancellor Angela Merkel suggested all European Union countries should make British travellers quarantine on arrival to slow the spread of the Delta variant.

The destinations added to the green list from 4 a.m. BST on June 30 are:

  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • The Balearic Islands (which include Ibiza, Menorca, Majorca and Formentera)
  • Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • British Antarctic Territory
  • British Indian Ocean Territory
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Madeira
  • Malta
  • Montserrat
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Turks and Caicos Islands

The places added to the red lists for the same time are:

  • Dominican Republic
  • Eritrea
  • Haiti
  • Mongolia
  • Tunisia
  • Uganda

Those travelling to the UK from these countries will need to quarantine in a hotel for ten days.

The Department for Transport (DfT) said it was intended that later in the summer arrivals who were fully vaccinated would not have to quarantine when travelling from amber list countries.

The DfT said this change was expected to take place in phases, starting with UK residents.

The department also said it intended to remove the guidance that people should not travel to amber countries, and it would take clinical advice on whether regular testing could provide a safe alternative to quarantine for children accompanied by vaccinated adults.

“Further detail will be set out next month including the rules which will apply to children and those unable to be vaccinated, how we will operationalise this approach at the border, and the dates on which these changes will come into effect,” a spokesman said.

Shapps added: “We’re moving forward with efforts to safely reopen international travel this summer, and thanks to the success of our vaccination programme, we’re now able to consider removing the quarantine period for fully-vaccinated UK arrivals from amber countries – showing a real sign of progress.

“It’s right that we continue with this cautious approach, to protect public health and the vaccine rollout as our top priority, while ensuring that our route out of the international travel restrictions is sustainable.”

‘Cannot afford another missed summer’

The travel industry welcomed the additions to the green list, but urged the government to do more to open up travel.

Sean Doyle, chief executive officer of British Airways said: “We cannot afford another missed summer.

There are jobs at stake, Britons separated from family members and we cannot afford to allow the success of our vaccine programme to be wasted.”

He added that plans to allow vaccinated people to travel more freely this summer were “critical” and urged the government to work with the aviation industry to set this up.

Matthew Fell, the Confederation of British Industry’s chief UK policy director, said the additions to the green list “won’t be enough to salvage the summer season for the international travel sector”.

He said: “The UK’s successful vaccine rollout means we should be in the vanguard of safely restarting international travel. Other countries are already pressing ahead with enabling travel for the fully vaccinated.” (BBC)

Categorie: Barbados

Five new virus cases, 15 people in isolation

Nation News - Gio, 24/06/2021 - 21:42

Five new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases, two women and three men, were identified on Wednesday, June 23, from the 599 tests conducted by the Best-dos Santos Public Health Laboratory.

Fifteen people are currently in isolation.

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases since March 2020 is 4 057 – 1 963 females and 2 094 males. There have been 47 deaths.

The public health laboratory has carried out 181 791 tests, since February last year.

Health officials have administered 93 303 first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine under the National Vaccination Programme, and 67 756 people have received second doses and are fully vaccinated. (BGIS)

Categorie: Barbados