National Super League (NSL) Council Chairman Johnstone Sakwa has expressed concern that the Ksh 90 million sponsorship deal with betting firm Betika could be jeopardized if the government does not heed to Fifa’s directive on how to handle the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) elections.
On Wednesday, Fifa declined to form a normalization committee as requested by the Sports Dispute Tribunal (SDT) and instead extended the current term of office for sitting officials until the current impasse is resolved.
Sakwa who is also the Chairman of National Superleague side Nairobi Stima said sponsors will not stay if there is instability and called on the government to resolve the issue amicably.
Sakwa also pointed out that players are the biggest stakeholders in football and any decision that is made should ensure that it is for their good.
The agreement which was signed last year by Betika Commercial head John Mbatiah and FKF President Nick Mwendwa will see the 20-team second division league named Betika National Super League for the duration of the partnership. Out of the yearly sponsorship of Ksh 30million, half will go directly to clubs with the remaining half going to the federation for administration purposes.
Mwendwa revealed that under the deal, the clubs in the NSL will receive grants of 750,000 annually but paid in two equal batches.
Mbatiah, who announced the deal through the ‘Betika Na Community Initiative’ said the partnership confirms their commitment to investing in the community through sports, arts, and culture with football being a key focus.
“Through this, we aim to improve the standards of the game as we nurture talent both at the grassroots and national level,” he said.
“We also believe we can influence positive change among the youth through creating an atmosphere of talents and skills development in sports. These are the same players who will hopefully, steer Kenya to qualify for the 2022 World Cup,” added Mbatiah.
The post FKF election impasse could cost league Ksh 90M sponsorship, Sakwa appeared first on KBC | Kenya's Watching.
Savings and credit cooperatives (Saccos) whose financial statements have been audited and submitted to the commissioner for cooperatives have been cleared to process payment of dividends and interest on deposits to members.
Acting Commissioner for Cooperative Development has further directed that Sacco officials whose terms expire before Annual General Meetings are held should continue serving until the next AGM is held.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock Fisheries and Cooperatives through a circular issued by the commissioner for cooperative development has since suspended all Annual General Meetings from 15TH.
This follows a presidential directive against congregating in crowded places to contain coronavirus pandemic.
Saccos and commercial banks have since been adhering to the directive, calling off AGMs until further notice.
Acting Commissioner for Cooperative Development Geoffrey Njango’mbe through the circular says, “the societies are hereby allowed to pay dividends and interest on deposits as long as their financial statement has been audited and submitted to the commissioner as per section 25(7) of the Cooperatives Act”.
However, deposit-taking Saccos will have to comply with section 35, subsection 1 which prohibits them from to acquire external borrowing in excess of 25% of its total assets unless the limit has been waived by SASRA.
The dividends will also have to be ratified by members in the next AGM.
The Saccos are further encouraged to use electronic money transfer to eliminate the risk of physical contact and overcrowding in the banking halls.
The dividend payment is expected to provide relief to members as COVID-19 impact income for many.
The post Saccos cleared to payout dividends, interests to members appeared first on KBC | Kenya's Watching.
The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) Saturday advised the general public to observe the curfew hours provided in the notice vide Government Gazette Notice of 26 March 2020.
IPOA further asked employers to be compassionate and revise hours of operation to allow their employees enough time for them to commute to their homes well before the curfew deadline sets in.
The curfew, which started Friday evening, brought a lot of chaos and confusion as most commuters were unable to beat the curfew time while police, in turn, used excessive force, intimidation and even went ahead to injure and clobber some Kenyans including a journalist even before curfew time.
IPOA Chairperson Anne Makori in the statement said that as an oversight authority, they expect the National Police Service to execute its duties strictly in compliance with the law and if required, the use of force be exercised only to the extent that is necessary.
Chair Anne Makori, Covid-19 curfew; Police shall first use non-violent means. Force shall be proportionate. Death, serious injury shall be reported immediately to @IPOA_KE. Failure to report by police is an offence. Following orders is no excuse for unlawful use of force.^MF pic.twitter.com/sKarxYG9nh
— IPOA (@IPOA_KE) March 28, 2020
“The Inspector-General of Police should bring to the attention of all operation commanders that public order management behoves the police to conduct themselves professionally and within the confines of the law,” Makori said.
The Chairperson added that the National Police Service Act, 2011, Chapter 47 of the Service Standing Orders and Sections 61(1& 2) of the NPS Act dictates that the use of force including discharging firearms responsibility shall fall on individual officers as well as commanders in charge of the operations in case of any eventualities.
“Towards enforcement of the curfew, IPOA Friday observed how the police and other agencies engaged in public order management conducted their work. In the course of our constituent mandate of monitoring of police operations, as guided by Sec. 6 (c) of the Authority Act, 2011”, Makori said.
She noted that IPOA is cognizant of the outbreak and declaration of the COVID-19 (CoronaVirus) as a global health emergency and the consequent measures put in place by the Government to prevent, contain and manage its spread.
As an institution, she added that IPOA has already put in place strategies to continue its operations unabated during the pandemic
Makori assured Kenyans of the utmost commitment of their mandate as IPOA, in the undertaking of independent, impartial and fair monitoring of police operations and investigations but also urged Kenyans to stay home and observe social distancing.
The objectives of IPOA Act is to hold the police accountable to the public in the performance of their functions.
The post IPOA: Following orders is no excuse for unlawful use of force appeared first on KBC | Kenya's Watching.
Residents of Murang’a living along steep terrains have been cautioned to be on the lookout for possible landslides as the county is expected to receive enhanced rainfall.
In the current long rains, some parts of the county are expected to receive more than 1, 000 millimetres of rain which may trigger mudslides.
The County Director of Meteorology Paul Murage has said the current weather forecast has indicated the county will receive enhanced rains where the month of April will be the peak of the long rains.
The onset of the rains he added happened in March and farmers should embark on the planting of crops before it is late.
Murage noted that last season the county received a lot of rains and thus soils are still saturated and more rains may trigger landslides.
“Last season despite the county receiving enhanced rains, we did not lose any life. Property of unknown value were destroyed in various areas by mudslides. This time we urge residents to be on the lookout for any possibility of landslides and take necessary precautions,” Murage told KNA through a phone call.
Murang’a County in the past has witnessed several landslides which sometimes led to loss of lives and displacement of families.
Earth cracks were witnessed in parts of Kangema and Mathioya sub-counties with Murage saying little rains can trigger landslides in those areas.
He said waterborne diseases may affect residents living in lower parts of the county including Maragua and some parts of Kandara where water tables are high.
“During the rainy season, residents are advised to drink treated or boiled water to avoid contracting diseases,” he added.
Meanwhile, the county government commenced the exercise of giving farmers maize seeds as they prepare to plant during the current rain season.
The County Executive for Agriculture Albert Mwaniki has said the county officials are forced to take the seeds at doorsteps of farmers of who have registered.
“During other years, we usually distribute maize seeds at chiefs’ offices or other public premises but due to coronavirus threat, we have organised for seeds to be delivered at individual doorsteps in an effort to maintain social distance,” he explained through a public notice.
The certified seeds have enabled the county to increase maize yields in the past years as the reliance on relief foods minimised.
Farmers have been requested to work on their farms at this time people are encouraged to remain in their homes as the government enforces various raft measures to combat the spread of coronavirus.
The post Murang’a residents warned of possible landslides during heavy rains appeared first on KBC | Kenya's Watching.
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe has announced seven more cases of Coronavirus/Covid-19 cases bringing the number of infected persons to 38.
The seven confirmed cases are from Nairobi County bringing the total number of positive cases in Nairobi to 28.
Among the seven confirmed cases that tested positive are four Kenyans, two Congolese nationals and one Chinese national bringing the total 38 within the country.
Out of the 38 confirmed cases in the country, 21 are male, 16 female. The Ministry of Health is so far monitoring 1141 close contacts.
163 close contacts under isolation have been discharged having tested negative for the 14-day isolation period.
While addressing the media Saturday afternoon, the Health Cabinet Secretary said that starting tomorrow (Sunday) the Government will start on mass testing on individuals who travelled back into the country and are in self-quarantine.
“From tomorrow, we shall embark on mass testing for those who travelled into Kenya and are in mandatory self-quarantine. It has been deemed necessary to institute mandatory quarantine for all those who have tested positive and their contacts,” said Kagwe.
Over 2000 persons arrived in the country since March 22, 2020, and are currently under mandatory quarantine in various designated hotels and Government facilities
Kagwe announced that the Ministry had discharged the second patient who was under monitoring after his results turned negative saying that the second and third patients tested negative but are still scheduled for a re-test in the next 48 hours.
A total of 81 samples from suspected cases have been analyzed in the last 24 hours.
CS Kagwe urged Kenyans to follow the Ministries stringent measures like social distancing to curb the spread of the deadly Coronavirus saying that most of the estates in Nairobi have touched by the 28 confirmed cases.
“There is not an estate in Nairobi that has not been touched by the 28 confirmed cases in Nairobi county. That is why we should maintain social distancing,” he said.
Kagwe urged the National Police Service to treat Kenyans humanely during the 7 pm to 5 am curfew and appealed to Kenyans to be disciplined at stay at home during the stipulated time.
He urged employers to give people time to be at home on time.
The post Seven more Coronavirus infections confirmed in the country appeared first on KBC | Kenya's Watching.